Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 Year in Review: Winter Racing


Here's part one of my 2014 year in review.  I had so many awesome experiences I had to break it up!

Junior National Qualifier: Wausau, WI
I have to start out with a little bit of 2013.  My first JNQ was in Wausau, Wisconsin.  There was a skate sprint, which I took 2nd in, behind my teammate and friend Hannah Rudd. I qualified first, but learned a lot in the finals about tactical skiing, and where NOT to plant my poles.  The second day was a classic 5K.  I took third in that race behind Hannah and Anna Johnson.

This guy is one of the reasons I love racing in Wausau.  Mike
Haight and his family live there and we always have dinner and 
catch up with the family.  This year Mike even came out to watch!
Photo: Julie Kautzer 
Also, my dad's Uncle, Joe Kleemann came with us, which was a 
treat as I don't get to see him very often.  
Photo: Julie Kautzer

Biathlon World Junior Trials: Presque Isle, Maine
Also partly in 2013 were Biathlon World Junior Trials in Presque Isle, Maine.  These were my first 3 important biathlon races occurring on 3 consecutive days.  My coach Piotr Bednarski told me after that his goal for me was to make some big mistakes (like forgetting my rifle, ammo, or doing the wrong course).  The idea was to make the mistakes and learn from them, as we both knew I was too inexperienced to make the team anyways.  However, I didn't make any big mistakes!

It was snowing pretty hard two of the days.  One 
lesson I did learn was how to clear snow from the sights.
Photo: Brad Kautzer

I tried to keep my heart rates low for shooting.  As Piotr said, 
"Give yourself a fighting chance in the range."
Photo: Brad Kautzer


Other JNQs: Mount Itasca, MN; Battle Creek, MN
I had another JNQ at Mount Itasca consisting of a skate 5K and a classic sprint.  I got 4th in the 5K, but was only 12 seconds back from the leader Erin Moening.  That course was awesome.  After you got up the 9 part hill (up, turn, up, turn, up... and up.... and up....), there was a flat section, then a wicked downhill to the finish.  
The classic sprint was interesting.  We started in the biathlon range, where there was blowing snow and sub-zero temperatures.  I'm pretty sure the race officials put the thermometer in the microwave or blew on it or something.  Anyways, it was cold.  I won the race with Anna Johnson coming in second.  The best part was going down the waterfall (all the hills have names at Mount Itasca.  The 9 part hill was called the switchbacks). 


Training camp: Maplelag, MN
After finals, my team went to Maplelag in Northern Minnesota.  It was an awesome 3 days with some whacky outfits, fun night skis, lots of cookies, and mega volume training.

It was beautiful.  Great snow, great times! 
Photo: Ethan Holdahl 

When I said crazy outfits, I meant it. 

I also need to mention Mr. Wander.  He is the assistant coach for cross country, Nordic, and track.  He is a genius about everything in addition to being an amazing coach and great skier himself.  He also has an insanely large stock of equipment he lets new skiers (like myself in 7th and 8th grade) use so they can try skiing without purchasing expensive equipment.  He's amazing! (Also, he doesn't like smiling in pictures but we got him to here).  
Photo: Rachel Conley

Sections: Theodore Wirth, MN
To qualify for the State meet (or States as my friends from out east would insist), you have to be in the top 8 individuals in Sections, or on the top team.  As cool as we think we are, my high school, Benilde-St. Margaret's, does not have the depth of skiers necessary to make it to State as a team (yet).  I qualified as an individual after a 10K pursuit consisting of a 5K skate followed by a 5K classic in the afternoon. I was 7th after the skate (generally my weaker discipline).  I had a poor race strategy, but at the start line Coach Carl told me to have some fun.  I switched my strategy on the spot and it definitely helped.  For the classic race, he told me to play PacMan, so I did.  I ended up winning the classic race on time, and finishing 2nd overall behind Hannah Rudd.  I felt awesome in that race.  
This was post-race.  Can you tell we are all 
excited (to be done)? 
Photo: Julie Kautzer

State: Biwabik, MN
The state meet is always fun.  We get to miss school and I get to bring teammates to watch, cheer, and support me.  I have typically done much better in the classic race.  This year a few inches of powder on an already tricky skate course made the skate race difficult for me.  I did not have a good race at all, but ended up coming in 16th for the morning skate 5K.  For the classic pursuit, I again had a poor/nonexistent race strategy/goal.  I know I could have done much better, but ended up in 14th, moving up 2 places (last year I passed over 25 people).  
 These two goofballs (Claudia Elsenbast and Rachel Conley)
came with me and were awesome cheerers! (My teammate Andrew Egger
also qualified, hence the Amandrew sign.  Last year the meet was 
on Valentine's Day, so they made a poster saying, "The faster
you ski the sooner you can be my Valentine."  Both signs were awesome 
and motivating in the race, as well as their ear splitting cheers!
Photo: Julie Kautzer











No comments:

Post a Comment