Monday, January 25, 2016

Surprises

Surprises


 I my first surprise this week when I came home to a big box from the USOC.  It was, as fellow biathletes refer to it, Christmas in January.  I thought I would get a uniform and maybe a jacket when I got to Lillehammer, but I was flabbergasted by how much team apparel they sent us. 

Christmas in January!
Photo: Jess Kautzer (thanks sis!) 

 The new gear definitely threw a wrench in my plan for packing....
My "staging room" before I added the new USA gear.  

Being a biathlete, I don't get to bring a bag for clothes on the plane.  I get my rifle case and ski bag, each needs to be under 50 lbs.  How I'm going to fit a months worth of clothes (and 5 text books) in my bags and keep it under the weight limit, I have no idea.  I'll let you know when I figure it out.  


The next surprise this week was the weather.  You know that snow we've been praying for all season? Well, it's coming.  All of it, at once, in the east, where my flight was scheduled through.  Luckily, by the time I figured out the super storm of the century was going to probably cancel my flight, the coaches had already started re-booking flights and rerouted me through Chicago.  

Blizzard Warnings, Snowstorm Jonas, Damaging Ice.... great for flying, right? 
Screenshot from www.weather.com


The best surprise of all was the going away party my teammates planned.  I'll miss my conference, section, and state meet, which is bittersweet for me, but definitely worth it for this incredible experience.  My high school team is super supportive and (almost) as excited as I am.  

 A card my teammate Erin made for me.

The biggest surprise so far, my best friend, who I haven't seen 
since summer (dang college!), coming to the party.
Photo: Rachel

My pack mule, aka Dad.

My turn to take over.  My checked bags were under 50lbs, but
 you can't say the same about my carry on bags.

See you in Romania! 

The beautiful sunset over Canada.  



No comments:

Post a Comment