Monday, May 9, 2016

Catching up and lessons learned

 I'm very late with this, but here we go...

My season wrapped up with Junior Nationals, and a trip to race in the Swedish National competition.
I wasn't able to train the week before JNs, so did not have such great results for the first two races, but got back into the groove by the sprint day, and had my best result of 2nd place, even with breaking a pole in the first 25 meters of the quarter final.  Despite the slush, the amazing volunteers were able to shovel a great course, and our hotel room was right in the middle of the sprint loop!
The big climb in the semi final of the sprint. 
Photo: Skinnyski.com


My biggest supporters: my parents and coach after the sprint race. 

I raced a sprint, pursuit, and relay in Sollefteå, Sweden.  After the races, we moved in with a biathlete at the Skidgymnasium and experienced what being a student athlete is like in Sweden.

My host, Elvira, and I.

 The American relay trying to act Norwegian. 
Photo: Claire Waichler

On my last day in Sweden, I took a bus into Stockholm from the airport and walked around the city.  I absolutely loved the city and the architecture, especially in the Old City.





According to my attendance, I have missed 9.5 weeks of school.  I'm finally getting caught up, but let's just say that when I wasn't in school learning, I learned A LOT.

1.  Just because you are skiing next to a European boy, they are not necessarily faster than you.  Many times yes, but there are actually Euros that aren't superhuman at skiing.

2. On a similar note, Americans can win international races.  We had Americans on the podium or very close to it at every race event I went to.

3.  You need to get comfortable being uncomfortable.  Whether it's trying to sleep on a plane, or attempting to have a conversation with someone who doesn't know English very well, there will be some awkward and uncomfortable moments when you're traveling and racing internationally.

4. Talk to the people around you on the plane.  I met the Paralympic CC ski coach on the plane to Romania, and a member of the USA Bobsled team on the way home from Norway. 

5.  Plan on not doing homework.  Get as much as you can done on the plane and before you go, but once you arrive, enjoy where you are.  Experience is a much better teacher than a textbook anyways. 

6. Take the road more traveled, just make sure you take the time to talk to the people walking there with you.  They probably have a pretty cool story.  For example, the man I met in Stockholm who plays his trumpet outside his church every day, and had some very interesting opinions about Trump.

7. Always bring your ski boots and AT LEAST one set of training clothes and all your electronic chargers in your carry on.  On the way to Sweden, my bags didn't make it to Stockholm, so I had to survive 3 days with only 2 shirts, a ski jacket, and a generous roommate who let me borrow clothes.

8.  When you are packing, under pack, because either it won't fit on the way back, or you'll want to buy some chocolate to bring home.

9.  Listen to local music if possible.  I always bring my iPod, which can pick up local radio stations, and found out I really like German pop music. 

10.  If you wake up and don't know where you are, don't panic.  It happens.

11. Europeans don't use a top sheet, just a comforter.  Weird? Maybe.

12. Essentials for the airplane: cough drops or vitamin C tablets, hand sanitizer, eye covers, a blanket, ear plugs, and Dramamine (in case you get nauseous or really need to sleep)

13. Go to events when you can: try out curling, go to a hockey game, or even go for a jog in a city you've never been in.

14. Try new foods, even if they sound weird.  Pickled herring? yum!

15.  Make friends when you can.  You never know when you'll see them again.  I ran across a friend in the airport in Oslo that I hadn't seen since I met her in Belarus.  It's amazing to have friends from across the world.


Last but not least: my next adventure is starting next fall at Michigan Tech! There's still lots more to learn, that I should actually be in school for.




No comments:

Post a Comment