Friday, February 13, 2015

State and some fun...

Before the race, my coach made a deal that if I won the section race I could dye his hair, and if the BSM girls team qualified for state we could shave racing stripes in his hair.  We didn't qualify, but I won so here's the red:

 
Photo: Rachel Conley

This is my third year at the state meet (65th in 2013 and 14th in 2014).   I was a lot less stressed this year, and having my teammate Matt racing too made it a lot of fun. In fact that was my goal for the races: have as much fun as possible over the course of a 5K race, and I think I exceeded that goal.  The snow was slow but with a positive mental attitude it was still a great time.

The skate course is a lot of up and not much down so there wasn't much recovery. 
Photo: Mindy Benton



My friend and training buddy Sarah Bezdicek won!!! 
Photo: Star Tribune

Early in the skate race. 
Photo: Mindy Benton

  
I got really warm in the classic race so threw my glasses, mask, and buff to one of my friends, but in the process got frost bite on my ears!
Photo: Mindy Benton

I raced from a 17th place finish in the skate to a 12th place overall.  That sets a new record for the best finish of a BSM skier at state since my coach's son set it at 13th my first year skiing.
Photo: Julie Kautzer


Half of my awesome cheering squad!!! 
They all missed 2 days of school to come stand in the cold for Matt and me, posters and all.
I don't have a picture but one said, "The faster you ski the less owly you'll be!"

My parents post race.
Photo: Julie Kautzer

 The sign at BSM wishing Matt and I good luck at State. 
Photo: Julie Kautzer




Matt and I after the races... much less owly than before. 
Photo: Julie Kautzer


What's skiing without a little sass?
Photo: Julie Kautzer


I'm writing this post from the Newark, New Jersey airport on the way to Belarus for World Juniors.  I can't wait to learn and compete with the best in the world!  I'm missing about 2 weeks of school between State and Belarus so wish me luck in catching up!

Belarus Bound!!!!
Photo: Julie Kautzer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment